WLPT 3
Thanks once again to Al for hosting the third West London Poker Tour tournament.
I managed to win it, and looking back on it there were probably 3 key hands.
It was a rebuy tournament and during the rebuy period I lost 2 50/50 hands (a flopped flush draw with overcards and AK vs JJ) so I emerged at the end of the rebuy period with 1200 chips when the average was 2000 with all 20 runners left.
Key Hand 1
I had worked my stack up to 1600 when I looked down at 22 in the big blind of 60. It was folded around to the small blind who called. I thought I would nick the blinds so I bet 150 but unfortunately he called. Flop comes 889 and the SB bets 200. I then make a slightly reckless all in raise, which was sufficiently high for him to fold.
Key Hand 2
We are now at the final table and my stack is hovering around 2500 and the blinds are up to 50/100. I pick up AQ in mid position and after a minimum raise from UTG who had a stack only slightly larger than mine I have no real choice but to move all in to try to isolate him or fold. The only hand I fear from him is AK, since I think he would have limped with AA or KK to try to maximise his pay off. However the BB calls and UTG wisely folded. BB flips TT and I catch a flukey A on the river to double through.
Key Hand 3
I get a couple of strong hands to move my stack up to around 20000 until there are 3 of us left. Blinds are 800 / 1600 and I get K4 in the big blind. The big stack raises 2000 and I decide to see a flop. So pot is now 8000. Flop is 67J with 2 hearts. Not great for me, so I think I'll have a stab at it and give it up if raised so I bet 2000 to represent perhaps a J or a flush draw. He calls. Pot is now 12000. Turn is the 5 of spades so now I have a straight draw. So I have another stab betting 3000 and he raises 3000. I am now getting good odds as long as he does not have a heart flush draw. I think for a long time, and decide he probably doesn't. River comes Q of hearts so I quickly decide to push in my remaining 6000 chips hoping he thinks I made my flush or hit a queen. I get away with it!
After that I have enough chips to make a few raises and pretty soon we are heads up and I win when I have QJ vs Q7.
Perhaps it is time to get a trophy...!
If you've got any memorable hands - fell free to post them here and I would be happy to say how I might have played them if you'd like my opinion.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home